The Gift of Design is the portfolio sight of designer Kim Dostaler. Kim has over 13 years graphic design experience working for higher education, non profits and small businesses. Kim is located in northern Vermont and available for full time work, part time work or freelancing.
Freelance Designer 01/04–present
Clients include: Ace Creative • Advance Notice Advertising • Mass Energy Consumers Alliance • Dirt Chic • Kodiak Earthmoving & Landscape Services • Vermont Government Finance Officers Association • Photographic Memories • Pakcom, Inc. • Inner Design
Graphic Designer/Marketing Director 11/10 – 9/13
Ace Creative, Medford, MA
• As part of a three-woman design firm, juggled all manner of graphic design tasks for print and web, project management of 5–10 jobs at a time, and marketing tasks such as new client research, website stat tracking, HTML email creation and client tracking.
• Spear-headed many green design initiatives, including suggesting becoming certified as a Sustainable Business by the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts, which the company completed in March of 2013. Company won a Medford Green Business Award and was featured in GD USA’s October 2013 issue for our efforts.
• Worked closely with Owner/Creative Director to design and launch a new WordPress-based website—www.acecreative.biz. Took majority of portfolio photos of work.
• Wrote extensively for company blog.
Some specific projects I had a large role in at Ace Creative:
Tufts Summer Session Brand Collateral
Brookline Community Health Center “Believe in Brookline Kids” Invitation Suite
Tufts 2012 Cyber Security Campaign—Mobile Mindfulness
Graphics and Web Coordinator 11/04 – 2/12
Harvard Univ., Harvard School of Public Health AIDS Initiative
• Design of brochures, posters and invitations for promotional purposes and large scale events
• Lay-out of quarterly newsletter
• Initiate new designs and solutions for different fund-raising objectives
• Redesign branding and communication materials when necessary
• Main contact for printers
• Work with staff on graphics related task including: final grant reports, slides, attachment file formatting
• Design of department website—www.aids.harvard.edu
Graphic Designer/Head of Design & Marketing 11/06 – 10/08
• Design of all printed materials, including baby announcements, holiday cards, brochures, print ads and marketing materials
• Design of car wrap
• Help in developing ideas for all printed pieces
• Responsible for display design and set up at various events
• Help in ongoing development/changes for www.babyphotographer.com
Graphic Designer 2/07 – 11/07
Mass Energy Consumers Alliance
• Design of all printed materials, including newsletters, marketing brochures and postcards, print ads, banners
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator • WordPress • Working CSS & HTML • Working SEO • Quark Xpress • Dreamweaver • Acrobat • Fireworks • Microsoft Office • Mac & PC • Facebook • Twitter • LinkedIn
Ai New England Institute of Art, Brookline, MA
Associate of Science, Graphic Design Program
Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH Graduated 5/00
B.A. Psychology, GPA 4.0
Minor – Fine Arts
Presidential Scholar; graduated Magna Cum Laude
Permaculture Design Certification earned from Whole Systems Design in Moretown, VT, August 2013
The Food Project Farm, Lincoln, MA
ReVision Urban Farm, Dorchester, MA
Charles River Conservancy, Cambridge, MA
Greater Boston Food Bank, Boston, MA
Maintaining a personal blog, hiking, biking, cooking & healthy eating.